Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Maybe I should say I have weight management issues...

I find it amusing how much people feel like the can interject in your life once they find out you are pregnant. I am pretty sure most of these people will not be concerned once the kid is here. Early this week, the "Office Manager" was appalled by my sushi consumption. I had to tell her that I read all the scientific research that was blown out of proportion to justify all the "forbidden foods" and I was comfortable with my decision...besides, I work in NYC, I have a better chance of being hit by a cab while walking on a sidewalk than catching listeria from my trusted sushi purveyor. Yesterday, I went to Kiehl's to get more of their body lotion, which sidebar works beautifully on my now extra-extra-dry skin, and my regular sales guy was asking me about how I was feeling. I was telling him that I felt great and the only thing that I hated was the train ride to work,out of nowhere, this lady jumps into the conversation and interjects that she wouldn't be working if she was pregnant and she quit her job as soon as she found out she was pregnant 15 years ago. I don't understand why would she get the impression that I care? Did she want a medal? So excused myself to go look for face cream. My new strategy to ward off "experts" as I get bigger is to say that I have a weight management issue :) The funny thing is that if this was 1979 instead of 2009, I could be smoking a cigarette and nobody would care!

6 comments:

ChingDiva said...

Weclome to being prgnant! people always feel like they can tell you anything and offer unwanted advice when you're pregnant. they must not know about you!

Jaimie said...

Unwarranted "advice" is the worst!I'd invest in a good pair of ear plugs... and I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I've been told that when you start showing, random strangers will just reach out and grab onto your stomach without asking. This was a huge pet peeve for one of my high school friends. !

NJDiva said...

ugh, that sounds horrible! Who touches a strange person's belly? So do I just reach out and touch theirs too?

chinleti said...

LOL! Oh, funny cuz for some weird ass reason I was craving a ciggarette (though I don't smoke) the other day...oh girl also please don't feel that i am trying to give you advice at times I am just mad excited...keep in touch!!

LadyEboDiva said...

LOL LOL LOL....ur a hott mess ... I LOVE IT!!!I just can't wait for you turn to people and say "BITCH, AM I TALKING TO YOU" I feel it coming...LOL!!

2009 and people gone soft when it comes to having a baby. Hello the doctor told my mom it was ok to have 2 cigs a day...I was born w/ asthma.. I pick sushi over inhaling tar

NJDiva said...

you are right, they have gone soft and they obsessed with babies. I would be appreciative if they spent the effort figuring out our carbon and ozone situation so that they baby won't get washed away when the ice caps melt!