Monday, September 14, 2009

Apparently I am poor and I live under a rock :-/

Ok, I am only half kidding but this is how I felt today because I really don't know anyone whose kid goes to daycare. The women who I have spoken to at work seem to believe that in the event that your spouse cannot afford to keep you at home, the only reasonable alternative is to hire someone for $2k per month to provide in home care.

I also tried to look up daycare recommendations on Urbanbaby.com because I incorrectly thought that a good number of urban moms use daycare. That was a bad idea, any post asking about daycare inevitably got at least one person who said that "women who can't stay home shouldn't have children" or "daycare children are more agressive;" this was on the NYC board! Not Luisiana, not Kentucky...NYC! So apparently working mom's who can't afford nannies are responsible for all the sociopaths and vagrants :-/ They also have all sorts of posts about teaching babies sign language, not getting shots and how eating a can of tuna will kill the baby. Apparently there is an entire subculture built around judging what is the best path to make your child into a functioning member of society. Let me think...my mom rode a motorcycle while pregnant, I grew up in the 3rd world, had shots for more diseases than anyone you know and attended free nursery school...my dh actually attended *gasp* daycare and ate McDonald's every friday. How did we ever turn out to be a married people with a decent jobs, who go to church and pay taxes? Our family were strict, no nonsense, hispanic or downsouth USA people, that's how...a chancleta or a switch prevents a lifetime of issues.

I know that my lack of knowledge in this arena is really my fault because I spent more time planning my next trip than actually planning for baby (in fact, I already know where I want to go for the next 3 years!). But it's ok because I know that I can provide food and shelter and if necessary mental health benefits in the event that being my kid proves to be too stressful ;) Fortunately, DH and I are both very comfortable with daycare...maybe we just don't know any better. I am now on a mission to find just 1 more couple who is down for daycare ( maybe I should get a daycare mom t-shirt made...). A very good friend recommended that I call another young working class couple and bingo they actually know people who like their daycare and get this: they even have a daycare picked out for when they have a kid!

5 comments:

Jaimie said...

My friend Jami at work experienced a lot of the same things when she was at home with her daughter. She took off the first year but now is looking into going back to work... not sure what they are planning to do. As for the shot thing... please don't become one of those people who dont get thier kids vaccinated. There is a reason why measles/mumps aren't running rampant in schools and its not because the diseases no longer exist! I hope you find some "daycare support" out there. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, if you find the right place.

ChingDiva said...

I didn't go to daycare, but my mom was a stay at home mom until my brother came along. All my cousins went to day care though and they turned out just fine. They had a nice Puerto Rican lady who watched them and they spoke spanish for a little while. My brother went to daycare too, at this older lady's house who was like they daycare lady for everyone on the 3rd floor of my aprtment building in BK.

NJDiva said...

Fear not, I am definitely get all shots and vaccines...no way I moved all the way to America to have a kid with Mumps :-/

LadyEboDiva said...

I did daycare a la women next door who use to be a teacher in Trindad. I think my mom did that b/c she was a teacher and she actually sent us home with assignments. Daycare is fine...helps to socialize children, not have children who sit on top of their mama until their 32yrs old. LOL LOL!!!

chinleti said...

Oh, wow...I feel so out of the loop I guess...well you know my mom and sis Phyllis helped to raise Serena, but now she is in school...then my mother in law and husband are helping me with Mikaila and Trinity...shoot, I don't know much about daycare though I would certainly benefit from it...but research places carefully, because these days its like hard to trust people with your kids...did you possibly think about taking some time off?