Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The joys of commuting

As a rule, anytime it rains is just a bad day to commute. To magnify the drama that is my rainy day commute to work, first , I had to go to a doctor's appointment at 8:15 in the morning. As I am getting dress, I realize that the tank is almost on empty so now I have to come up with a gas station strategy. I get into the car and as I start driving my number of miles to 'E' starts to drop immediately from 27 to 24 (maybe the windshield wipers are to blame). By some miracle I manage to make it to the gas station that is 2 block away from the doctor with 17 miles to go...phew that was close!

I get to the doctor's office and fortunately the baby is oblivious to all that is going on in my world; heartbeat is 152 and the doctor congratulated me on gaining 3 lbs this month. Just when I thought I was of the hook, they needed yet more blood to look for yet another rare disease or defect that the baby could potentially have! It's a good think that I am not predisposed to worrying because the names of all the things that I have been tested for are just downright scary, the latest being "Spina Bifida"...like can 1 human being have this many potential issues? So I walk reluctantly to the back to have my blood drawn and I warn the lady that I am not a good bleeder. She is "confident" that she has found my vain and the needle goes in...and nothing happens, not enough blood! So she pulls it out and makes me chug 4 cups of water and announces that she will try the back of my hand! It worked but that really hurt :(

So now my hand hurts and is 9am and I decide that going home and parking and trekking to work is just annoying so why not drive to Jersey City and spend an extra $10 on a garage to make it to work faster? 1 hour later I figure out that it's a bad idea because everyone else has the same idea so it took 1 hour to drive 10 miles. By the time I get to parking garage, those 4 cups of water are really, really, really ready to come back out so I have to find a restroom. The attendant is nice enough to let me use their restroom but someone is in there and I have to wait. Finally the door opens and a middle aged Asian man come out and I already know before it hits me...this bathroom stinks, &$%k!! But I have to go so I run in and try to get out as quickly as possible (sidebar, somebody at my office blows up the bathroom every single morning and it ruins my morning everyday, looks like I can't get away from people who don't know to use their own bathroom for #2!!!).

I finally get on the train where I have the pleasure of standing packed-in and there is a girl in-front of me with her fur hoody in my face; why would she need a down jacket with a fur hood on a 60 degree day? Of course, it also stinks because the train has a permanent stench and its permanently packed with people. As I get off the train I have to wonder if I was particularly mean to someone and create bad karma for myself? But I decide that I just need to work harder and maybe just maybe I'll make enough money to live and work in the same zip code one day ;)

3 comments:

LadyEboDiva said...

Oh sis you are freakin Hilarious.....LOL LOL LOL!!!!Now I wish I came to your job just to give you a hug Cause you definitely needed some sista love.

Jaimie said...

The good 'ole PATH train... one thing I do NOT miss about New Jersey! I hope your day got better after that! I promise I will call you back before the weekend :o)

chinleti said...

Girl that whole bathroom incident was funny lmfao! But yea the blood tests omg...and they like don't stop...gotta test for this and that...if I even see another needle again, I think I am going to scream....but good to hear that the baby is doing well and your pregnancy is coming along nicely!