Thursday, January 21, 2010

Simplifying my life

If you have ever spent a lot of time at my house, you know that I run my home life and my work life pretty much the same way: I have a system, schedules or to-do list for everything. Due to upcoming important new demands on my time, I started working on improving my home system last year to create more free time in my life. Here are some of the things that I did:

-Got rid of clothes that don't work enough, books that I have read and don't plan on ever reading again and all of my papers from graduate school...good ridance!
-Changed the software that I use to manage my budget to Mint.com so that my budget mostly manages itself and all of my bills are automatically paid each month.
-Made a deal with DH: he does all the cleaning and I do all the grocery shopping and cooking. This works pretty well except he doesn't get under every nook and crannie like I prefer so I am going to find a cleaning person to deep clean once per month starting in February.
-Sucked it up and spent an extra $100 to take NJTransit and reduce my commuting time by 15 minutes each way.
-Closed down my IRA and consolidated all of my retirement into one company and just 5 funds (Thanks Lady Ebo for the inspiration!!).
-Cut down my grocery shopping to 1x per month at Target and TJ and 2 orders per month at Shoprite.com. I cook 3x per week so I can plan a month worth of meals (12 meals) and just add in breakfast stuff, fruit, snacks for DH and cleaning supplies :o).
-Bought a fabulous application for my i-phone that has really helped me track my errands and phone calls.

I don't know if any of this stuff will work for you but it might give you some ideas. My goal is to spend the smallest amount of time possible on housework and errands and have more time for family, friends and myself in 2010 :)

Now I just have to simplify getting stuff together for Zoe...I went stroller shopping with my fellow diva this week and it was ummm a challenge.Maybe there is something wrong with me because everyone else in the store seemed to be very into all the gear. I love, love, love to shop but baby stores just have a million versions of the same thing. So I did what I do best, I went online and searched for strollers with extendable handles that will last until she no longer needs a stroller and I came up with 2, please tell me what you think and I will order something in the next month or so ;)
http://www.bumbleride.com/collection2009/flyer-tech-spec.php

http://www.maclarenbaby.com/us/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=162&Itemid=88888908


7 comments:

ChingDiva said...

HA! That pic is funny. I agree with you, so if I ever have children, I'm giving my mom money and she is going to buy everything, because I can't deal with the madness! That place was way too much!

ChingDiva said...

Also, I like the bumbleride better.

vlagrl said...

Hmmm....I do need to throw out a ton of stuff in my closets...the bf mentioned the otha day that if he moves in there's no room lol. There's only no room cause everything is thrown about. Sigh...I need a diva to help one day otherwise those closets will still look a mess when I'm done!!

will answer soon on the strollers, comp at job acting up

vlagrl said...

I don't think I'm capable of choosing a stroller!

NJDiva said...

LOL! vlagrl you are funny!

chinleti said...

Hey wait were you debating between the two (which I think you were) or were you gonna get both? The first one the Bumbleride seems better not only because of the adjustable handles but also its compatability with other infant carseats....the other one was more like an advanced umbrella stroller for when she is bigger, but why have two strollers when you could have one to do everything, which is why the first one is like better....another one you might wanna check out...my absolute favorite...Quinny Zapp...now when I first saw it, it was because one of the parents of my babies at work brought it in and I tell you it is way better than what it looks like in the pics...you gotta try it out...it links up with the Maxi Cosi carseats and when it folds up its like the smallest thing to put in the trunk of the car...most strollers are all big and bulky (Gracos...uggh!). But this one is real nice, plus when I went on the website for it (www.quinny.com) the front two wheels are supposed to be able to come together and transform it into a jogging stroller...so its like real nice...original price was 219...at babies r us for 230, but on Amazon.com went down to 199 so its a good buy...so yea...sorry about writing this long ass essay on strollers...i see you later!!

LadyEboDiva said...

My Diva, my diva, I love love you for you and your lists, schedules, and anything else that start with step 1 and ends with a step 5...LOL LOL! One of the reason why I adore you.

Yay!!That I inspired a financial change...so not my territory...LOL!!

Strollers are ur friend Addis...LOL!!