Thursday, September 17, 2009

New doctor

I really wish I would have put my foot down and insisted on living in NY 2 years ago, taking the Path train everyday is slowly driving me insane. No matter how great I smell in the morning when I get on the train, I can't help but to feel stale when I get off! I am sitting at my desk right now and I can still smell cigarettes and just general subway stench on me. ok, I am done with my complaining for now.

My appointment this week was uneventful, all my blood test came back normal and I learned that I was a B+ instead of A+ blood type and somewhat anemic; I could identify the baby's head and heartbeat but I couldn't hear the heartbeat because the machine at this office doesn't pick it up so I was disappointed. I did come to the realization that I need a new OB because apparently, you have to pick your doctor based on the hospital in which they deliver. We were totally against St. Vincent's in the city so I made a short list of hospitals in NJ by looking at the boards. Then I checked out their credential's and C-section rates on the BCBS website (apparently NJ has one of the highest rates in the country at 51% so I wanted hospitals with a rate of under 36%). Then I ran them by DH because he has been in most of the hospitals in NJ and he knows which ones are not that clean. So my shortlist of Hospitals is: Mountainside, Morristown, Holy Name and Summit. All have private maternity rooms which would cost me $700 per night at the NYC hospitals, wuh-huh!

I then called up everyone I know in Jersey to get their OB recommendations and I matched them up with my chosen hospitals. Finally, I called the OB office and asked the questions on my list. Full disclosure, my insurance company has a very helpful hot-line where they gave me a full list of questions to ask like: How soon will you come to the hospital once I am in labor? I would have never thought of this question! I have settled on Dr. Winsome Parchment in Maplewood for now because she came recommended by someone who was extremely picky and went to a number of OBGYNs. Also, when I called her office they were the most helpful and did not rush me and she is ranked in the list of top 100 doctors in NJ and has been a activist on natural birth. I am in favor of all painkilling drugs but I really don't want to be forced in a c-section because the doctor has other things to do :-/

So I get to meet my new doctor in 2 weeks and now I have to break up with my ex-doctor...hopefully they will be nice and send my medical records without any drama.

4 comments:

ChingDiva said...

Winsome Parchment sounds like a Quaker hippie. Which would probably make her an excellent doctor then. Your cross-referenced short list of hospitals has made my day, LOL

LadyEboDiva said...

LOL LOL...ur the funniest person ever. LOL LOL

NJDiva said...

Oh you know that research and project management is my specialty...no matter what the subject area, I can get you all the info that exist ;)

chinleti said...

I was gonna say why don't you come to Hackensack University Medical Center? And not just because I work there either...it's an excellent place to give birth....private maternity rooms (flat screen TVs and internet access...lol). The food is actually great! We have room service. I had my last two there and it was really great! Where does your OB deliver out of...if I missed it in your blog post, I am sorry...prego brain...lol...wait do you suffer from that from time to time? It's frustrating! lol